Cybersecurity is one of the most important topics in legal technology. While tech is changing the way law is practiced, the risk of cybersecurity threats is on the rise. According to the American Bar Association (ABA) 2022 Cybersecurity report, 27% of law firms experienced some form of cybersecurity breach in the last year—an increase when compared to the report for 2021. Even more alarming, another 25% of firms were unsure whether or not they experienced a breach.
Rize Technologies is a leader in cybersecurity services for law firms. We are focused on ensuring that our clients have all the tools and resources that they need to protect themselves from data breaches. The importance of software updates and security patches cannot be overstated. In this article, you will find an overview of the importance of cybersecurity for law firms, including the key reasons why your firm should not skip software updates and security patches.
Cybersecurity Is Essential for Lawyers and Law Firms in 2023
It is no secret that in an increasingly digital age, law firms heavily rely on technology. At its best, legal tech can help to streamline operations. Of course, technology also introduces certain inherent vulnerabilities. Law firms that do not have the proper cybersecurity practices in place are at significant risk of a data breach. A breach can cause enormous damage to a law firm. Cybersecurity is especially vital for lawyers and law firms because:
- The legal industry relies heavily on technology to store and transmit sensitive client data and business data, making it a prime target for cybercriminals; and
- Failing to protect this information can result in significant financial losses, reputational damage, and other adverse consequences.
As unnerving as it can be to rely on technology to store and transmit sensitive information, the reality is that there are great cybersecurity tools available. With the right system in place, a law firm can dramatically reduce the risk of a security breach.
Four Reasons Why Law Firms Should Never Skip Software Updates and Security Patches
Outdated software is vulnerable software. There are a number of different technical reasons why this is the case. The key thing that lawyers and law firms should keep in mind is that their software and other technology need to be up-to-date. Here are some of the most notable reasons why your law firm should never skip a software update or a security patch:
- Fix Existing Security Flaws (the Most Important Reason): The most significant reason for updating software and applying security patches is to address existing security flaws. Software updates are often released to resolve existing security vulnerabilities. Likewise, patches are frequently put into place because of a known security flaw. Failure to update your software/technology makes your firm vulnerable.
- Be Certain That Sensitive Data is Properly Protected: Law firms handle sensitive client information, including financial records, intellectual property, and personal data. Such information requires the utmost protection from cyber threats. Failing to apply software updates and security patches can lead to a data breach, resulting in the loss or theft of sensitive data. Law firms have a heightened professional responsibility to protect sensitive client data (American Bar Association (ABA) Rule 1.6).
- Get Access to Any New and Improved Features: Software developers continually release new features and improvements to enhance the performance of their software. By keeping your software updated, you gain access to these new and improved features, making your firm more efficient and productive. Outdated software is falling behind.
- Enhance Your Software/Technology Performance: Software updates also include performance enhancements, such as bug fixes and better compatibility with other programs. These enhancements help ensure that your software and technology are running smoothly, reducing the chances of software crashes, downtime, or errors. These errors can pose cybersecurity vulnerabilities.
Rize Technologies Is a Top Managed IT Services Company for Law Firms
Whether you are at a large firm, mid-sized firm, small firm, or are a solo practitioner, you undoubtedly have a lot on your plate. You do not have to figure out cybersecurity—and all of the latest software updates and security patches—alone. As a top-managed IT services company for law firms, Rize Technologies provides safe, secure services designed specifically to meet the needs of the legal industry. We partner directly with the best cybersecurity providers in the world to ensure that our clients have their security needs met. We are proactive, and we will always ensure that your software and other legal technology are fully up-to-date. Cybersecurity vulnerabilities must be identified and resolved before they become problems.
At Rize Technologies, we are proud to be a leading provider of managed IT services for lawyers and law firms. Our team puts a strong emphasis on cybersecurity. If you have any specific questions or concerns about software updates, security patches, and any other cybersecurity issue, professional support is available. Contact us today to find out more about what we can do for your law firm.